Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Lucy Writes

We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.           E.M. Forster

Maybe I’ll start calling myself Lucy in honor of Miss Honeychurch, E.M. Forster’s heroine in A Room With a View.  This could be the Reticent Diarist’s pseudonym.  Reticent is not so catchy, is it?

I’m writing almost every day.  This is unusual for me but maybe not that surprising given the workless days. It occurred to me that I might write about things that happen that have nothing to do with heartache --is that even possible?  I toy with the idea of dividing each entry into sections: FUCKING SAD and NOT SO BAD and GREAT.

FUCKING SAD would have to be a major category because there is a lot of that in my life right now. But I don’t want to be a drip or seem like I sit around collecting sad stories.  I do believe that it is in the misery where our characters are formed. But in the midst of all that there is fun and hope and dirty jokes and weird/stupid stories that make a lot of things worthwhile.

Personally, I’m willing to put myself through an unusual degree of weirdness in the hopes of finding the good. I think this is a good character trait. It also shows that there is a part of me that is a gambler. And all gamblers are stupid. That is not a criticism, exactly.

But when I write to you, dear reader (well, when I write to myself), I find I turn away from what is almost happy.  Guilt perhaps?  There’s no perhaps – it is guilt, pure and simple. And fear. 


FUCKING SAD
  •  My abortion
  •  My dear friend has cancer
  •  Ex/impregnator fell in love with my less cute doppelganger in a matter of weeks post break-up, causing me to question how much/how little he valued our relationship
  •  My mother is nuts and regretful about her entire life
  •  I am hung up on my ex even though I know it ain’t happening anymore
  •  I had sex with a beautiful man who had the smallest penis I have ever met (and I’ve met a few)
  •  Dating too much with little success
  • Loneliness
  • Having sex with my ex (the one now in love with the ugly version of me—I realize this is mean, but give me a break.)
  • Not having money due to unemployment
  •  DID I MENTION MY DEAD FETUS and my broken heart?  This occupies five bullet points each, just so I’m clear. FUCKING SUCKS.  I miss my A like a missing limb; I’ll miss my baby forever.
 NOT SO BAD
  • I had sex with a beautiful man who had the smallest penis I have ever met (sic)
  • Dating
  •  Trying to be friends with my ex
  • My attempts at dating have been met with little success -- but really, am I capable of having an honest relationship at this point?
  • Unemployment
  •  Having sex with my ex – it’s good for my ego
  • Drinking
  • Loneliness
GREAT
  • Writing 
  • A man in Boston who I might never meet who tries to help me with every dilemma I throw at him, including finding a person at Memorial Sloan Kettering who would be able to help my friend CC get better treatment
  •  Interesting men that I’ve met who I'll never see again
  •  The man with the small penis also came too fast. He could do it multiple times, each sex session lasting all of three minutes or so -- sorry for not being more accurate as I did not think to set a stopwatch before each encounter. After Round 2, I observed that he was quite sweaty and he replied, “It comes very fast.”  I died laughing, but I was the only one who got the joke.
  • Meeting Michael, who I thought might turn out to be the greatest rebound boyfriend of all time. But it turned out all I wanted was to be his best friend and he wasn’t so pleased about that (this last bit makes this bullet point an eligible entry for FUCKING SAD but I have bigger fish to fry).
  •  Making new friends in desperate attempt to distract myself from misery
  •  Reconnecting with Jon in real life and remembering how much I love him – I have my doubts as to whether or not this would have happened if events in the FUCKING SAD category did not occur  
  •  My ex and I stalking each other on OKCupid and sending each other stupid notes
  •  Stealing the apartment/sex analogy from my friend DY and taking it to a whole new level of absurd with his sister LY. I will write about this later.
  •  Making a kick ass apple pie for my sad sick friend – it is a stupid thing to do, but it was what she wanted and what I could give
  •  Re-finding another Michael, my reluctant male friend.  He gives me rides on his motorcycle and drives us over the Brooklyn Bridge
  •  Going to the beach with CC
  • New York in the summer
  • Loneliness
So does the categorization work?  Probably not.  Too pretentious.  A too-self conscious attempt to be funny.

But I'm keeping Lucy.

I'm going to gamble.

No comments:

Post a Comment