Monday, January 4, 2010

Nowhere

I hope this doesn't turn into a sleepless night.

I am thinking of the word vacillate -- it reminds me of limbo, emptiness, and of course, indecision.  Vacate, vacuum, vacation.

Vac is the Latin for empty.

This is probably not the kind of conversation that will get things started at a party, but what the hell. It's a word that defines itself when you look at it on a page -- before I even heard it used, I saw that word once and knew what it meant.  Static but moving.  Vacillate is pendulous and weightless.

I've out-nerded myself.

Another thing I think of often and for no good reason:

WHOLE
HOLE

Get it?

Why a pair of pants but not a pair shirt?  A pair bra? What makes pants (two legs) a pair but not a shirt (two arms)?

And I don't know the right time to use despite and in spite.  Are they interchangeable? One would think I would just look this up rather than spending too much time thinking about it. But one day it'll come to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment