Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Contrarian

That's what the name of this blog should be. I tend to dislike things other people fawn over.  My dear friend and ex roommate once said that made me an iconoclast. Another person who did not have much of a vocabulary told me I was a person who got off on being different. 

Because I have nothing else to write, here's a list of things I hate that most people like:
  • hearts are stupid
  • balloons are tacky, especially the mylar balloons
  • greeting cards offend me somewhat. Why don't people take the time to write down how they feel?
  • "Sweet" is an overused word, but when it is said sincerely and unexpectedly, it breaks my heart (in a good way). Actually I hate hearing it as a description for a person but otherwise, I sort of like that word.
  • electronic greeting cards are even dumber than regular cards (unless you have Parkinson's and can't write -- I have a friend like this).
  • Disneyland is a horrible place. If I ever have a child, I worry that I might have to take him or her there and think of ways to raise a child who won't care about such places. How can any adult like it there? What is wrong with them?
  • black shoes -- this one is personal and impractical, I don't care if other people wear black shoes 
  • crafts -- they're usually ugly but politeness dictates that we ooh and aah because someone made something by hand
  • people who knit/felt/bake/cook -- oh god (disclosure -- I cook and bake but I am not a nazi about telling everyone)
  • pictures of food that people post on Facebook 
  • parades depress me 
  • self-help New Age books -- I cringe whenever I find out people read self-help books.  To each his own and all, but I'd rather not know
  • Godiva chocolate -- it is not very good and is of poor quality
  • Georgia O'Keefe -- blue vaginas and pink desserts. No thanks.
  • God and the people who can't stop talking about their faith -- way too many people in my extended family who are like this. 
  • shopping with girlfriends -- this is another personal thing 
  • group outings -- makes me feel like a lemming or a snail that has lost its shell
  • parties -- I can fake my way through most of them it but it is never fun for me
  • foodies -- why does everyone want to be part of some club?
Well, that was the least satisfying blog entry of all time! I was hoping I would have come up with funnier things but I just sound like a crotchety old bag.  And today, that is not the way to describe me. 

I am in quite a good mood.  I am reading Laurie Moore--she makes me laugh even as she annoys me with her overlong paragraphs (sometimes I don't even notice) and wows me with her skill.  My neighbor is playing his guitar and it is lovely.  It's too cold tonight and I like it.  

I am a bit of a loner. Most people would find that hard to believe but there you have it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment