Tuesday, September 1, 2009

More Words about CC

My dear CC continues to be in good spirits.  That is an inadequate sentence to describe how happy she is today. The lightness in her voice makes me catch my breath.

She asked me to go to some chemo sessions with her.  She is also getting her head shaved on Friday. A wig-fitting. At some point, she will have her breasts photographed.  She asked me to go with her for the pictures but doesn't want me around for the head-shaving.  She said losing her hair is private, the titty pictures, not so much. Has she separated herself from the boobs already?

What will the wig fitting be like?  Like shopping for a new dress?

I am not even trying to understand how she must feel because that would be, in a way, belittling her experience.

None of us, not her mother or her family or her boyfriend, have any idea what this is like.  I don't want to sound like a sap, but in acknowledging the limits of what I can do for her and what I can understand, I am honoring her. Just for hanging in there.  For being able to sleep at night and going to work today.

No comments:

Post a Comment